The castle of the Knights of Saint John on Kos, was constructed with local stone and with the remains of previous constructions and buildings. It still shows a number of blazons on the masonry, some columns, bases, and architraves from the ruins of the old city. It was built during the occupation of the Knights, which lasted for over two hundred years.
This piece of architecture and construction engineering amazes visitors by the sight of a stone bridge that used to link that area of Kos, which used to be an island, with the mainland. Today it is called Phoinikon, which means palm trees.
After going over the bridge, visitors see the stone two-precinct castle. Its awesome four interior towers are circular and are located in the four corners. The southeastern precinct, the largest, in fact, includes the tower on the south and still has gun ports, battlements, and bastions on all the corners. There is a drawbridge communicating both precincts over the large moat between them. The construction took several years, and it dates between the years 1380-1514